Stephen Fry/Eisenstein

Home Forums Forum 01 (Week 2) Stephen Fry/Eisenstein

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Akwasi Agyen 2 days, 16 hours ago.

• Author
    Posts
  • #1842

Candace King
    Participant

Based off of Fry’s videos and Eisenstein literature both authors were discussing similar information. There was connection to each other being that each of there main focuses was finding different ways on how to make the printing methods that were being used better. Each of them discussed that the printing method that were being used or that they created were able to make books and become profitable but if they were able to find a faster way to accumulate more books. As for Fry’s video it showed that Guttenberg would not quit until he found a new idea/tool to help improve his printing machine. He went to different cities looking for his next big break. Being the fact that his machine had only able to print a page at a time while there were some other machines that had two page print. Eisenstein’s work talked about Guttenberg as well as others like Peter Schoeffer, Zanobi Di Marano, Vespasiano, and other inventors. She showed how all of their goals was to help make each of there printing systems more efficient. Both work’s also discuss the obstacles that came their way when ever discovered a new idea. For example, both pieces of work talked, about how Guttenberg discovered that the “Vellum” which is calf skin would be great to use to make paper. After he realized how many calf’s would have to be killed to make the bible he knew it was back to the drawing board he had to think of a new idea.

Do you think if all the inventor’s/printing machine user’s came together and worked as a team would they have founder a faster to way to make books sooner?

• #1855

Jessica
    Participant

That is a good point ! Each piece of literature brought up points of the obstacles and the video shows better the search for an easier printing method.

To answer your question , yes of course teamwork always makes the dream work but they were all born at different times and it seems the inventor of what was discovered was to be credited .

• #1863

Marc Torres
    Participant

I think the answer to your question is yes! I think if all those great minds would have came together, we’d have books a lot sooner and maybe they would have been different from the books we know today. Maybe they would have figured out a better way to read texts than books. In regards to what you said about Vellum, I wish I could use Vellum today since it seems like premium paper. It’s like the rolls royce of paper to me and I’m disappointed I haven’t been able to write on it or use it at all. I hope at some point I get to use it. I’d probably doodle on it (which would be a waste), but at least I’d get to say “I used Vellum” at some point.

• #1882

Tuka Al-Sahlani
      Participant

Marc,

I have the same sentiments about luxury paper.  As for vellum paper, I would be too intimidated to write on it or use it. Maybe I would just frame it…

• #1927

Andie Silva
      Keymaster

I bet there are places where you can still find vellum, even NYC (certainly in the UK). I’ve touched a few pieces at a conference recently and it was very thick and luxurious (not to mention thicker and more lasting than paper). Letterpress printing seems to be making a comeback–I wonder how that relates to our chat about the power of nostalgia!

• #1869

Sanjida Khatun
    Participant

I believe the answer to your question is yes. Of course if great minds came together inventions to make books faster would have been created. It is also about how time changes society and what society wants or demands. As technology advanced there was faster ways of making books, and a greater demand.

• #1881

Tuka Al-Sahlani
    Participant

Candace,

Intriguing question. I want to say yes they would have done great things together, but many a times we find that although great minds might think a like as the cliche suggests, they do not necessarily work well together. Also, would there have been an acceptance of the faster book, or would the gradual evolution as Eisenstein mentioned been a better path for the print book?

• #1892

Lene
    Participant

Great thought! I definitely think things would have come together quicker and perhaps even better. Two heads are better than one. But as my dad always says nothing never happen before its time. So I believe all things happened as it was supposed to happen.

• #1945

Akwasi Agyen
    Participant

I agree to all of you who said yes to Candace question. I believe the inventors such as Zanobi Di Marano, Vespasino and others had one common goal of inventing printing press machine the would be faster than the existing one. As adage goes “two heads are better than one” and with individual ideas together they would invent printing machine faster than Guttenberg one. Why these inventors wanted to make printing method better? Maybe they were thinking that as the world population growing, they needed to build more effective printing machines so that many people had access to written materials

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are Closed

Theme by Anders Norén

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message