FRY/Einstein/Voyant Tools

Home Forums Forum 01 (Week 2) FRY/Einstein/Voyant Tools

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Andie Silva 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Posts
  • #1828

Marc Torres
    Participant

Einstein’s work and Fry’s videos have many connections. They both talk about print culture and its origins. I think Fry’s videos are very interesting as they show from start to end how the medieval printing press was made. It’s so impressive that we now have printers that connect wirelessly to our computers, and that we can print literally anything. I think watching those videos made me appreciate the current technology we have now, and even the technology that we had around 2000-2005. I now laugh at how frustrated I got with some of that technology in that time. I didn’t realize that things weren’t always like that and that in order to print anything, it would take months. I’m so glad I’ve had modern technology to grow up with.

Something interesting and important about Einstein’s work that I want to talk about is when she mentioned how many valued texts weren’t preserved. In order for texts to survive, they had to be copied. In that time, it took forever to make a copy of a text. The job wasn’t for just any person to do either. Men of education had to make copies, and it would be on things they had no idea about; like words they didn’t know or charts and tables. It’s crazy to think that even paper was different. I look at paper now and don’t think about it, but Einstein’s work helps me see that paper wasn’t just paper that long ago.

I tried to use Voyant. However, I’m still becoming familiar with it and playing around with it. So, there’s not much I can say about it at the moment. I’m just trying to get adjusted to how it works. It’s not that hard to use, but there are a lot of things about the program to remember. It can do really cool things that I hope to use for my project at some point.

Was the medieval printing press really a revolutionary machine, or was it that the idea that things could be copied that was revolutionary? Which one, and why or why not?

• #1838

Fiifi Frimpong
    Participant

The medieval printing press seen in the videos were very fascinating. I couldn’t even imagine the work and precision that had to be applied to produce several pieces of work. Like you said, I think everyone appreciates the technology that we have now. We don’t even have to think much whenever you want to print writing.

I have the same response when it comes to Voyant. It does seem useful and I do plan on using it in the future. I just don’t know much about it at the moment.

• #1860

Marc Torres
      Participant

I know! The technology we have now is amazing. Looking at things like the Amazon Home or Alexa, we’ve come so far. At the same time, I’m scared of AI technology since I’m sure some Terminator like thing can happen at some point in the future. I’m not sure I can get behind some of the new stuff we’re doing. For example, there was recently a computer where they programmed it to only see death in every situation. I think stuff like that is weird to do and I don’t see the point in those things.

• #1866

Sanjida Khatun
    Participant

Hey Marc,

I enjoyed reading your response. It’s amazing how times have changed and due to technology we can print almost anything. Answering your question I believe what was revolutionary was the printing press because this allowed for things to be copied. Without the printing press, would there be this idea to copy things ?

Of course as technology advances different revolutionary tools are created and new ideas form.

• #1873

Akwasi Agyen
    Participant

Thanks to Gutenberg for his idea of designing a machine capable of producing pages of text. Let me ask you a question, have you ever thought of life today if printing press had never been invented? We would not have access to books, magazines, or newspapers, posters, pamphlets, and mailers. Printing press has created jobs for many people. It also allows us to share large amounts of information

• #1928

Andie Silva
      Keymaster

A good point, Akwasi, but it’s worth remembering that copying and printing existed long before the handpress was invented. The question is more one of speed and access–who gets to have information, when, and how quickly. Some say what the printing press did was allow for a spread of literacy and for a “democratization of knowledge.” We can debate in class whether we find that to be true…!

• #1880

Candace King
    Participant

Your  question is quite interesting. I feel that the medieval printing press was a revolutionary machine but the fact of the matter is that the idea that things could be copied was much more fascinating. Just the thought of you rearranging letters on paper to say what your feeling or like how Guttenberg created the bible is more captivating to know it can be duplicated.

• #1884

Tuka Al-Sahlani
    Participant

Marc,

Well said! We take so much of what we have today in technology for granted. And on the topic of printing wirelessly, what about 3D printers? Which brings me to your questions, is it the machine or the possibility? I would like to think it is both. Although the machine might have been made with one intent, the possibilities presented by the press were many. Also, the idea of copying propelled the need for more and improved machines. So, the idea of copying was present, and the mechanics of the machine were available as Fry pointed out, but combining the two together I believe is the revolution.

• #1891

Lene
    Participant

That is an interesting point you made regarding that men with no education had to make copies of text they had no idea what read. It goes to show that these men were very skilled. Do you think reason being was because the technology available to them back then wasn’t as distracting as today?

• #1929

Andie Silva
    Keymaster

I think the question of what we take for granted (or whether we really *need* something) is really key–I agree that sometimes it seems like new upgrades are being done because they can be. It’s worth considering the role of capitalism in the development of new tools.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are Closed

Theme by Anders Norén

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message