Project 3

Final project – Project 3

For Project 3, I decided to do a Map Journal on the important places/events in my life.  The 5 places I chose to document in my opinion, are the most important. My first slide shows a picture of the Brownsville Recreation Center, also known as “The BRC”. The BRC is such a significant place for me because that’s where the root of me playing sports came from, I started all of my sports from this recreation center which I still play until this day. On my second slide, I mentioned the Asphalt Green Gym.  Every year, Asphalt Green hosts “The Big Swim” which consists of children competing in a swimming race, my Mom took me every year up until I was about 12 years old. In my third slide, I’ve mentioned Camp Wabenaki. This camp has to be one of the most important parts of my childhood. Camp Wabenaki is a sleep away camp for kids. Of course, not all of my most significant places came from my childhood. My most recent significant place is Madison Square Garden. Back in 2015, my high school girls basketball team won our first championship game in the school’s history. The most important place that has had and still does have a huge impact on my life is Camp Shane. Camp Shane is a weight loss camp for kids, teens, and young adults.

For this project, I felt like the best way to tell my story was by a Map Journal. From the Story Map tool, I chose Map Journal because you can add a description that shows up on your left side, and on the right side, you have the content displayed that you are talking about. The cool part about this map is that on the right hand side, the content doesn’t have to be a map, it can me a photo, video, or webpage, which gives me more options on how to display my content. For my project, on the left hand side, I decided to give a little description on my place/event, but mostly speak on it during my presentation in class.  On the right hand side of my project, I will display a piece of media in which the location/description I’m talking about. Then, I will speak in detail on why these locations are significant to me in my lifetime thus far.

Even though I’m going to verbally describe the reasons for my locations, I’m going to explain my top three places that is the most important in my life and how this might possibly be able to influence others. The top three places from most important to least is Camp Shane, The BRC, and Madison Square Garden.  Let’s start from the least important to the most in my top 3 places. Madison Square Garden is a significant place in my life because I got to actually play on MSG basketball court that the pros play on. Also, our high school was the most hated in the Public School Athletic League. Since my freshman year, We’ve went to Madison Square Garden 2 times and lost in the championship, when we lost it always killed us because nobody knows how hard we’ve worked throughout the season, and after we lost, people would make meme’s of us losing, it was rough. In my senior year, this was our last chance to try to make something happen, we went to the Madison Square Garden, and won the championship game in 2015.  When we won I felt like we overcame a huge barrier, and most importantly, made haters feel stupid because they didn’t want us to ever win.

The second most significant place in my top 3 is the BRC. The Brownsville Recreation Center is the root of all my sports, this is the place everything started.  I first started swimming there when I was about 6 years old, as I got better throughout the years, I joined the Brownsville Stingrays swim team when I was about 8 or 9 years old, and I also discovered my love in basketball because they have a gym there also. Every Saturday at 10am – 12pm, they had a basketball program for kids, I always went after my swimming practice. This is where the athleticism came from and progressed.

Last but not least, Camp Shane. Camp Shane will forever have the most important impact on my life because it literally changed my life for the better and forever. My first day of Camp Shane I weights 256 lbs, I remember it clear as day. After 9 weeks of soreness, sweat, and frustration, I came out 30 lbs lighter with a big smile on my face and two tear drops down my eyes because I couldn’t believe my accomplishment. After that 9 week experience, I swore to myself I would never go back to my original weight.  From this experience, my peers can learn that anything is possible and it’s never too late to accomplish them, but at the same time you can’t forever to accomplish what you want, you have to take action. If you want the job to be done properly, you have to work hard for it, whether it’s from losing weight, to being rich, nothing comes easy.

Overall, I feel like this was the best project we’ve done throughout the semester. I think it’s because this is something of our preference and our personal experiences, so it was fun to look back into my past and the good times.  This project didn’t really feel like work to me because it’s something that I wanted to do or didn’t mind doing. Although, I did face some challenges. For some of the experiences I had, it was hard to find a valid piece of media. Certain activities I did back then such has camping, it was hard to find documentation of it because it doesn’t exist anymore.  Putting myself aside and talking about the class with this project as a whole, it would be fun to listen to my peers experiences, and why those New York City spaces are important to them. I feel like it’s a better way to learn new things about my peers.

Link to my Project