DH Project Review

In theory…

#tranformDH is used by many DHers to voice concerns about equity and social practices in digital humanities. The hashtag highlights feminist perspectives and provides space for intersectionality in DH. It is used as a call to end the singular white man perspective which has plagues analogies humanities for centuries and that, if allowed, can diminish the power of digital humanities as well. Although the hashtag is used sporadically with posts either once a month or a few this week, the topics are relevant and current. For example, the most recent uses of the hashtag was on the topic of open resources and diversifying DH scholarship.

Many of the twitter accounts and hashtags are raising awareness of equity and open resources for DH. They are also praising projects that include marginalized voices as well as none English languages. For example, #blackDH was used by many to inform of accountability and justice required when research is done in black communities. #dh2018 was celebrating projects and conference sessions with bilingual focuses and sessions.

These twitter accounts and hashtags open up a world for whom DHSI deems the “DH Curious” like myself to explore and discover.

This tweet reminded me of our class.

In theory my project is phenomenal. In theory! However, because my project is dependent on public input, I have nothing to add but pins to drop on my map. I have posted my plea for help on two different Iraqi Facebook groups and have asked friends to post it on their pages as well. I have added a Google Form with the questions to the post, so I am hoping by next week, I will get at least 5 responses. I will be using Story Map for my platform because it combines both mapping and audio media upload capability. One of my concerns is the flow aspect of my project and would like my peers to focus on how better to make the project flow. The audio files are in Arabic, so I would like to know if I should include a transcript of the file or just the questions the participants answered. My major challenge is the bilingual aspect of the project, and I would appreciate all the feedback on how best to make it relatable and engaging to my classmates and none Arabic speaking audience.

The Bloomsbury Undergraduate DH Manifesto was a fun read. My favorite part was the differences in pedagogy required in digital humanities and for the “digital natives”. I also appreciated the Howl example that shows the collaborative work required by all fields in digital humanities.
The idea of digital native and digital immigrants did not sit right with me. I do agree that “digital natives” should not be called the dumb generation and they need to learn to apply the tool they encounter daily better, and their voice should be heard, but I would want to read more about this distinction. Or, maybe my problem is the implication that a native knows more than an immigrant and that word choice could be changed.

Overall, I think they captured the abstractness of digital humanities well in the last paragraph. These students made me think of my high school students and the possibilities and idea that emerge when learners are empowered.