Project 1

LEAVE WHITNEY, LEAVE

Steve Fadugba

Project 1

This age of technology is a tad bit overwhelming for millennials like myself. I never thought i could get a quick analysis of a heavy amount of text. If it happen to be left for me alone, to comprehend and give analytical analysis for Whitney’s full text we would need about 5-7 years. The luxury I have at my disposal, the ability to use Voyant to help widening my perspective. I was able to focus on this big body text at and time. I looked at this text for Isabella Whitney “The Author (though loath to leave the City) upon her Friend’s procurement, is constrained to depart: wherefore (she feigneth as she would die) and maketh her WILL and Testament, as followeth: With large Legacies of such Goods and riches which she most abundantly hath left behind her: and thereof maketh London sole executor to see her Legacies performed.Throughout my skimming of this text that I would attempt to show why Whitney used the word “leave” so much in her text.

Voyant shows that word “leave” appears the most in these text.The word leave stuck out to me the most to me because I have the perception she left this world alone and all that she left for us was here text. The word leave apparently shows more in the beginning of the text more then the end. This text is filled with heavy content and is a few pages long. Towards the end of this text, she speaks a lot about her future death. She stated that she has nothing to her name. She paints a picture how she wants people to when she’s gone. I was very interested to how she planned to leave this world. She used the word “leave” 33 times.This how she evenly use the word “leave” throughout the text.

These are a few instances in which she used the word leave. Here are phrase that caught my eyes “and now let me dispose such things, as I shall leave behind.”  “For Maidens poor, I Widowers rich, do leave, that oft shall dote: And by that means shall marry them, to set the Girls afloat.And wealthy Widows will I leave, to help young Gentlemen:” These instance in which she uses “leave” are referring to death and the things she doesn’t have. I believe her tone isn’t sad  but this writing comes of as free-writing. I believe there is no pre planned structure but all of her thoughts that came to mind as she was writing.

Voyant shows many details that i would overlook  such as this document containing 2,235 words and and average 25.1 per stanza . The ability to search terms and phrase that’s far to overwhelming a basic reader such as myself.                                                                                                                                                                                                   

This chart shows shows the words that directly follow the word leave. Nothing particular special about her word choses following leave. “Leave to”, however appears the most with a count of 6. We know Whitney as dependent women and iconic writer. Must instances she wrote “leave to”, were to wives and husbands.

Excerpt

Whitney interest in this moment is quite interesting because she speaks if her leaving this world could affect wives, husband , widows and maidens. She does speak a lot about women. I believe she could actually be referred to as feminist. Her narrative is not obscured by male hegemony. Whitney doesn’t seem to like the roles women play when it comes to men.

I can’t tell her preferred audience in this piece. I feel as she truly never regretted her single status nor economic status but it seems as she was truly a women seeking understanding. Whitney strikes me as contrarian who was way before her time. Distance reading allowed me to seem Whitney in a different light. I believe this poem may have been like a diary excerpt she left for someone to read. Her poetry was here personal way venting and understanding the world. Distance reading eliminates our connotation of certain words and and not making assumptions of the tone of the writer. With Distance reading I take notes of the writers habits and broaden my scope of the patterns that I uncover.

https://voyant-tools.org/?corpus=964d071b1b82a40bd4866026365f3166